“111 fares the land, to hastening ills a prey.
Where wealth accumulates and men decay.”
~ Oliver Goldsmith
So we should not be surprised when we find that:
- When the government of old Egypt fell, four per cent of the people owned all the wealth.
- When the Babylonian civilization collapsed, three per cent of the people owned all the wealth.
- When old Persia went down to destruction two per cent of the people owned all the wealth.
- When ancient Greece went down to ruin one-half of one per cent of the people owned all the wealth.
- When the Roman Empire fell by the wayside, two thousand people owned the wealth of the civilized world and then followed the Dark Ages from which they did not recover until wealth was scattered by continuous wars, a great share of it being therein destroyed.
It is said at this time that less than two (2) per cent of the people control ninety (90) per cent of the wealth of America.
The foregoing disasters as well as our own present condition were all brought about by the same thing; namely, the power in the hands of individuals or private groups to issue and control the value and volume of the money of the nation. This right, of course, being obtained by bribery, corruption, trickery, treason, murder, etc.
Download a free pdf of this very well-researched, insightful, educational book at Lincoln Money Martyred by Fabius Melton Butler, Lincoln Publishing Company, Seattle, WA, 1935, p.3